halcionne

Free Jinger: I'm doin it rong

43 posts in this topic

So. I like to get all caught up on the fundie drama before I comment and I always feel obligated to read every. single. comment. Of course, this takes more time than I actually have and now I'm hopelessly behind and losing more ground every day. My questions are:

How do you get back up to speed after you've been away from FJ for a time?

What's new with fundies since September 17? I follow all of the FJ biggies (and some smallies) except Lori Alexander. Here's where I left off: Amanda Munck pregnant, Paul Arndt turned 34, Rodrigues family in an RV, HOLY SHIT JOSEPH MAXWELL GOT MARRIED, Duggar daughter dog and pony show with special emphasis on Jill stealing Jessa's thunder at every opportunity (and Jessa and Ben stopped posting selfies?), Esther Shrader had her baby (and for what it's worth, based on a quick google search for the word Lushomo (sp?), it IS a boy name, even though the translation, faith, is a girl name in English), Bateses getting a new show and Alyssa pregnancy rumors, Norma Roberts married and potentially the Robertses are conservative christians and not even fundie lite anymore. Doug Phillips dressed up in Washington DC.

I usually read the ends of the big threads and work backwards if needed. Nothing overly exciting has happened since you left. Mostly just the constant outages. But Erika Shupe is trying to get a dog. A Shih Tzu. :shock: It seems as if some FJ members are contacting area breeders to keep her at bay.

I tend to want to read the whole thread and in order too. On the other hand, that would mean doing nothing all day except for reading FJ!

One of my strategies is to limit which threads I follow -- mostly that's by limiting which fundies, although there are so many of them I don't know anything about and sometimes I ignore those threads but sometimes I decide to check it out.

It seems like you could get a good summary of what's happened just by perusing the thread titles -- as you've pointed out with HOLY SHIT JOSEPH MAXWELL, really dramatic stuff tends to get its own thread with the exciting bit right there in the title.

Perusing thread titles without actually reading them would be a great timesaver/Cliff's Notes way to catch up.

Reading just the last few pages of the longer/ongoing threads, as 16strong says, makes sense too. At least for most threads and then you can pick your special favorites that you're willing to spend serious time on :shock:

I'm thinking of more-or-less signing off the internet for the month of November -- not completely off but for very very limited time each day, certainly not enough to keep up here -- so I might be in the same boat as you shortly. :shock:

ETA: PS -- where is everyone? I can't get into FJ at all -- if it's totally down, shouldn't there be a dozen or more people in here? Or do most people not bother with the shelter? Or maybe the main site isn't down for everyone?

Good tips, you two, thanks.

Shupe. Didn't she have birds for a while? I don't follow her too closely, so I don't know how that turned out, but I can hazard a guess, *smile* (Typing that smile bit made me cringe so hard you guys, how does she do it? :roll: )

Weekends are the quietest days on FJ, I suspect. And for me, at least, coming to the shelter is like trying to write a term paper and staring at the blank sheet of paper. Where do I start?!

*snip*

ETA: PS -- where is everyone? I can't get into FJ at all -- if it's totally down, shouldn't there be a dozen or more people in here? Or do most people not bother with the shelter? Or maybe the main site isn't down for everyone?

*snip*

I'm not quite sure why there aren't more people here. FJ is working VERY intermittently for me, and from what I have read when I can access the site, that is true for everyone.

Curious is working very hard on getting FJ going again.

Oh I completely know that everything that can be done is being done. I believe she said in this case it's nothing under FJ's control and so they're just having to wait for Dreamhost to fix whatever it is. I'm not complaining at all -- I'm just puzzled that since the shelter is here, why more people aren't using it? But I think Halcionne is right that weekend evenings are a pretty slow time for FJ in general -- I guess most people have lives after all, ha! It's a rainy evening here and I've got a sick dog and I'm working on a piece of my business that involves being on the computer anyway, so I'm just used to flipping back and forth between my spreadsheet and FJ (or, you know, a few minutes on the spreadsheet, then an hour on FJ and a dozen hands of solitaire, then back to the spreadsheet for another few minutes, lol!)

What's really odd to me is that Yahoo email is having lots of glitches and incomplete page loads, and then the weather site I like is doing the same, and at some point it really starts to feel like it's either my machine or my ISP, or maybe everything is crashing all at once in actual fact. Perhaps a life away from the machine would help, in my case. sigh.

Since you're here and a mod, can you explain about the points given for posts on this site? Thanks!

Welll.... If I could remember what Curious told us about it... :?

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
ETA: I DID find this information, but couldn't find exact info on the points system as to how many points for each item - You get points for creating a thread, creating a post and the number of words or something like that.

Since you're here and a mod, can you explain about the points given for posts on this site? Thanks!

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
ETA: I DID find this information, but couldn't find exact info on the points system as to how many points for each item - You get points for creating a thread, creating a post and the number of words or something like that.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
and then what happens when we accumulate a bunch of points? can we trade them for ice cream or manly romp keychains or something?

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
and then what happens when we accumulate a bunch of points? can we trade them for ice cream or manly romp keychains or something?

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
I like that idea! However, Madam Bunny would have to answer as to what accumulated points represent.

I don't know why more people aren't here either. I've not been able to view FJ for a few days except maybe for yesterday.

I think people arent here because they can't be fucked to participate when there is so little action. I'm only here because getting to pick my own avatar and not having my posts proof read is novelty for me.

I'd much rather talk to 2 people here than not be able to use FJ at all. I've been able to view FJ intermittently the last few days, but usually not any longer than 5 mins at a time (and that's if I'm really lucky). And there's not much of a point in trying to update the page for responses, because most people see the Error 502 and just leave instead of trying back a few minutes later. The few times I have been able to load the page there, not much new has been posted. *shrug*

I read every post in the Lorken and ZsuPee and Driscoll threads and skim everything else. If a thread is particularly long I might read it to see what the fuss is about. Then if I have free time, I go back and read lesser priority things (for me) like Duggar threads and the Maxwells.

I can access the site as long as I don't log in so can't comment then get in and thrown promptly back out.

I follow the Duggars mainly and the Alexander's as it was her blog I found and was going wtf a lot at it, is she for reals bullshit.

I now follow the Maxwells too now that is just rebellion waiting to happen or worse. The old man takes them all out on his path to enlightenment for the greater good. I read way to much into their way of life :oops:

I'm not really spending any time here, just FYI. I'm spending all my time working on FJ proper. Some people are apparently having no problem with FJ. I am watching all the monitoring and traffic like a hawk right now and there are always between 50-150 people online on FJ proper. I don't know what magic those people have, but I wish they would share it with me because troubleshooting a site you can't get to load is a real bitch!

I'm not really spending any time here, just FYI. I'm spending all my time working on FJ proper. Some people are apparently having no problem with FJ. I am watching all the monitoring and traffic like a hawk right now and there are always between 50-150 people online on FJ proper. I don't know what magic those people have, but I wish they would share it with me because troubleshooting a site you can't get to load is a real bitch!

I have been getting a 502 error most of the time over the last couple of days but I keep trying and every so often I get the page to load and get logged in with no problem. Yesterday couldn't get in all morning but tried again in the early PM and it was just fine, in fact I was able to change my avatar. A few minutes after that got the 502 error again. So no magic here, just luck / timing I guess.

That's actually really intriguing to me. I mean, I know it could be just random, but if it's NOT random, what a sleuthing mystery, to see if you can identify what makes them so special! (geographic region? ISP? political preference?)

That's actually really intriguing to me. I mean, I know it could be just random, but if it's NOT random, what a sleuthing mystery, to see if you can identify what makes them so special! (geographic region? ISP? political preference?)

:idea: It only lets the cool people on (yes, I can get on :D)

I don't know why more people aren't here either. I've not been able to view FJ for a few days except maybe for yesterday.

I think people arent here because they can't be fucked to participate when there is so little action. I'm only here because getting to pick my own avatar and not having my posts proof read is novelty for me.

And then instead of acting like an adult when you have the chance to prove you can be in the wild, you fuck it up and make me have to start taking things away again :)

And then instead of acting like an adult when you have the chance to prove you can be in the wild, you fuck it up and make me have to start taking things away again :)

I honestly don't know what you're talking about. My avatar and location are fine and I didn't put any other offensive information. You can trust me not to put offensive website, etc. Was it the "which is worst" post? I hesitated, but then I thought that if someone else posted it it would be fine. It didn't break any rules.

I'd much rather talk to 2 people here than not be able to use FJ at all. I've been able to view FJ intermittently the last few days, but usually not any longer than 5 mins at a time (and that's if I'm really lucky). And there's not much of a point in trying to update the page for responses, because most people see the Error 502 and just leave instead of trying back a few minutes later. The few times I have been able to load the page there, not much new has been posted. *shrug*

Yeah, this week I went back to work FT & instead of having tons of time at home, & then checking at work, I've been running around like a maniac. If this was happening during a normal week for me I'd be going insane. At least I can distract myself with other stuff:(

Shh, no one tell Lori I am put my kid in full-time care;)

Thanks for doing what you can. Just for your fyi, I usually can get all the way to the "quiverfull of snark" page. It's when I try to access an individual thread do I get the 502/gateway error page. Also, I'm auto-logged in each time.

FJ is mostly working for me now -- I do get an occasional error, but mostly the page comes through.

I am normally autologged in too, but the last few days I noticed I had to log in again (though generally for naught)

The Bates' are getting a new show?! When was this announced, and is it going to be like the last one that was aired? I know a lot of people thought it was more boring than watching paint dry, but I actually liked it. Gil is a charming con and I'm fascinated by Kelly's bottom lip. It has a mind of its own.

ETA. I usually get a 502 but sometimes my phone gives me the option to retry and I can sometimes get through. Right now I'm blocked. DREAMHOST!!!!! DAMN YOU!!!!

The Bates' are getting a new show?! When was this announced, and is it going to be like the last one that was aired? I know a lot of people thought it was more boring than watching paint dry, but I actually liked it. Gil is a charming con and I'm fascinated by Kelly's bottom lip. It has a mind of its own.

I'm gonna have to search this out. Should I watch on mute? Is this like Anna Duggar's weird mouth movements on mute, and Michelle's eyebrow movements? Entertaining?

I keep forgetting this place exists! I can't get into anything at FJ either.

As for keeping up, it's nearly impossible if you have things like a job, school, family etc and still want to sleep! I tend to limit myself, as someone said upthread. I've only just fallen down the Arndt rabbit hole with that birthday thread and holy fuck! I NEED to know more about these people! :lol:

I'm gonna have to search this out. Should I watch on mute? Is this like Anna Duggar's weird mouth movements on mute, and Michelle's eyebrow movements? Entertaining?

You know how some people's butts pooch out? That's kind of what her lip does. It pooches wayyyy out and no matter what she says it does not move. It just does not move. I find that fascinating. I also find it entertaining to watch my husband chew because his temples move his hair and it looks like fish gills moving. After I wrote that it hit me how incredibly weird I am.

Thanks for doing what you can. Just for your fyi, I usually can get all the way to the "quiverfull of snark" page. It's when I try to access an individual thread do I get the 502/gateway error page. Also, I'm auto-logged in each time.

That's also been my experience. Yesterday, I had no problems with FJ proper, but the glitches are back today. I know you're doing all you can to get the bugs worked out.

ETA. I usually get a 502 but sometimes my phone gives me the option to retry and I can sometimes get through. Right now I'm blocked. DREAMHOST!!!!! DAMN YOU!!!!

Was this not discussed while I was away? I'll make a new thread in the shelter.

I didn't have the shelter bookmarked when all the carp started up, so I had to wait until I could get partially into FJ to find this place. I hope that made sense. This has been fiscal year ending at my office, I forgot about that and scheduled some work to be done at home one day. I got new cable stuff, so I've had to spend hours teaching my 94-year-old mother how to use her new remote control. Really, the fundies haven't been at the top of my priority list lately.

For all those reading here a quick primer. Most of you are probably brighter than me and I had a sort of superstitious reluctance to posting here. Because if I didn't FJ would miraculously be cured. I screwed up a couple of times so for dimwits like me ...

- You need to register again for FJ Shelter. Your usual FJ login and password do not work. I tried my usual login umpteen times because I'm a total dolt. :mrgreen:

- (Possibly) use your FJ username and email for quicker access to FJ Shelter.

- Password (whatever)

- Answer a question. I screwed up the first question because it was a (very well known) user name that I knew -- but I messed up the Cap sensitive bit. I was than offered a much easier question. Persevere on the questions.

- Wait for email confirmation of registration and email approval of registration. Less than 12 hours in my case.

Thanks FJ Owner and Admins! Good job!

For all those reading here a quick primer. Most of you are probably brighter than me and I had a sort of superstitious reluctance to posting here. Because if I didn't FJ would miraculously be cured. I screwed up a couple of times so for dimwits like me ...

- You need to register again for FJ Shelter. Your usual FJ login and password do not work. I tried my usual login umpteen times because I'm a total dolt. :mrgreen:

- (Possibly) use your FJ username and email for quicker access to FJ Shelter.

- Password (whatever)

- Answer a question. I screwed up the first question because it was a (very well known) user name that I knew -- but I messed up the Cap sensitive bit. I was than offered a much easier question. Persevere on the questions.

- Wait for email confirmation of registration and email approval of registration. Less than 12 hours in my case.

Thanks FJ Owner and Admins! Good job!

I think we're supposed to use our FJ username and email so they know we're not fakers.

Yes. Absolutely on user names but I don't think it was spelled out before Three and Done weighed in.

And answering an obvious question means that we have a working knowledge of FJ so we are definitely not fakers at the Shelter. I like that step.

I found it really funny that I screwed up the first answer. Heck, I've been here since 2008-ish! So persevere if you mess up the first answer. The next one might be easier. :mrgreen:

Yes. Absolutely on user names but I don't think it was spelled out before Three and Done weighed in.

And answering an obvious question means that we have a working knowledge of FJ so we are definitely not fakers at the Shelter. I like that step.

I found it really funny that I screwed up the first answer. Heck, I've been here since 2008-ish! So persevere if you mess up the first answer. The next one might be easier. :mrgreen:

Exactly, thank you!

And some answers are found directly in the rules... ;)

my question was to name one of the patron saints :D i loved it

today, after working great, i started getting a bad gateway/500 error. now it's kinda sorta working again. i dunno. i'll probably flit in between here and there.

after being away for a few years, i'm hopelessly behind. i only read about the great pecan heist last month-ish and just finished reading the exposing of razing ruth last week. i'm just jumping in and reading whatever happens to pop up. :D

I'm awful at catching up.

I usually hit the 'see my posts' button, because posts that I've participated in are ones I"m probably interested in, skim anything new.

Then I'll click active or unread topics or whatever, and go to the new posts there.

(actually, if I'm supposed to be being useful, I try to read if there are any helpmeet updates really first, because it's always good to know the news before I do something boneheaded)

But I feel years behind on FJ righ tnow. I find it works best just to ignore that I'm behind and jump in with both feet. Or find someone who is nice and will summarize for me :)